Friday, March 19, 2010

Taming the GIMP

Looking back on my presentation for SIPS, I feel as though I didn't necessarily address the application of the software as best I could. While I did explain a few practical uses for the software across many disciplines of study, I didn't get to do as many demonstrations as I would have liked. One of the reasons for this is the depth and breadth of the program. There are too many functions, options, and tools to use to explain in their entirety.

*However, I do feel as though that might be a little harsh, as many of the tools and "toys" are similar to Microsoft Paint, which many of my peers have, likely, encountered.*

I must admit that a few more demonstrations would better explain how to use the program. Perhaps, if I had shown the class how I created my "Put Yourself in the Picture" assignment, there would have been more engagement in the class. I believe that my peers may have found a more practical use for the application if they could see where THEY could put themselves. Also, they may have been more interested in the attention to detail that they could adopt when creating their own GIMP art. Furthermore, they would see the entire process more thoroughly instead of seeing a brief demonstration and then a bunch of finished products. I find that it is difficult to understand the process without seeing the process first hand, and that process may take time.

This brings me to the time constraint. Bowen and I, simply, didn't have the time to explain our applications to the full extent (At least not while presenting together). If I(we) had more time, things could have been different. On the other hand, these presentations were designed to give a quick look at a certain piece of technology. We weren't meant to hold seminars on tech. Still, it was my duty to explain this piece of technology and I believe I did the best I could - all things considered.

When life gives ya lemons you have to make lemonade...

No comments:

Post a Comment